Border Highlands Annual (Virtual) Show 2021
Judge Mrs Jean Connell (Achnacarry)
In-Hand Classes (Photo)
Class 1 Mare, 4 years and over
Class 2 Stallion or Gelding, 4 years and over
Class 3 Youngstock
Special Rosette to best;
Best veteran pony (over 15 years)
Foal (born in 2021)
Yearling (classified as a one year old on 1st Jan 2021 following birth during 2020)
2 year old
3 year old
Best Border Highlands Member in each class
Ridden Classes (Short film clip)
Class 4 Wobbly and Rusty (for newly backed ponies and new pony/rider combinations or ponies returning from injury or haven’t competed for somewhile (longer than covid lockdowns). Show to include walk away from the person filming and trot back, with a short demonstration of walk and trot on each rein with some canter if you wish.
Class 5 Novice (pony 4 years +) A Novice pony is one that has not won open Highland Pony or mixed open M&M ridden class or qualified for HOYS, RIHS or Olympia ridden finals. Ponies to be ridden in a snaffle bit. Show to include walk away from the person filming and trot back, with a short demonstration of walk and trot and some canter on each rein.
Class 6 Open (pony 4 years +) Show to include walk away from the person filming and trot back, with a short demonstration of walk and trot and some canter on each rein. You may include a few strides of extended canter if you wish.
Special Rosette to best;
Border Highlands Member in each class
Best veteran pony (over 15)
Best “Senior” rider (over 50)
Best Young Rider (25 or under)
Class 7 “Blast from the Past” – a pic of a sold, retired or no longer with us pony. A Border Highlands Members only class. This may be a single side view photo in-hand or ridden.
The Show Rules and Regs
The Committee is very aware that Members and friends have had a very difficult time, so we hope this virtual show is a fun way to get back into competition. We aim to keep the friendly, fun and constructive Club Show feel for this event.
- The show is open to Border Highlands Members and Non-Members with their pure bred Highland Ponies, registered in the main body of the Stud Book.
- Photos and film should be taken for this show and be recent ie taken between the website opening for entries to be made and the closing date for photos and films to be submitted (with the exception of Class 7). All images must be non-professional. Border Highlands will not liable for any costs incurred as an infringement of copyright laws by any competitior.
- For the in-hand classes; four images should be taken of the pony standing on level ground. The images should comprise of; front, near side standing, off side trotting and rear view with the handler out of the shots as much as possible. The pony should be presented as you would for the Judge to study at a “live” competition.
- For the ridden classes; a short clip should be submitted including the movements described for each class. Your show may be filmed in an arena or in a field with no zooming in. It is up to you if you wish to wear “show attire” or “smart casual” but he pony’s tack should be as you would wear for a ridden show on the flat. So please, no boots, curious bits, martingales etc on the pony and no spurs on the rider (or vice versa!). Whips and canes should be 30” (or 75cm) maximum in length and we would advise all hats meet the current safety standards (BHS).
- A pony may enter a ridden class more than once. For example, if a pony is shared between two riders, both riders may send in an entry each.
- No entry accepted without full payment of entry fees plus names of owner, handler/rider and pony. Under 18’s must have parental/guardian permission to enter and submit images.
- Entries are non-refundable and no late entries can be accepted.
- You are entering at your own risk. We can take no responsibility for injury or damage to pony, people or property whilst taking images or films.
- By entering, you are happy for us to reproduce images for Border Highland’s website and Facebook
- The Judge’s decision is final
Entry fee Border Highlands Members £ 3 Non-Members £6
Entries should be made online
Photos/films should be uploaded with your online entry and payment made using PayPal
Good Luck. Results will be announced on Border Highlands’ website and Facebook page with Rosettes presented at the next AGM where we can celebrate your success with you. Non members – we’ll get your prizes to you but if you live outside of the UK, you may be required to cover postage.